Did you know that in September over 40 CEO will be raising awareness, raising money and spending a night on the street in support of homelessness initiatives in Winnipeg?
Now you do!
The CEO Sleepout 2012 (organized by the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ and their Change for the Better Campaign) is in its second year and is committed to engaging the business community and the general public in a meaningful initiative that will bring much needed attention to the issue of homelessness in Winnipeg. Last year, they raised $94,000 that went to employment programs with Siloam Mission, Red Road Lodge & Graffiti Art Programming.
I recently was able to connect with a few CEOs and the infamous @DownTownJason to learn more about this initiative. i learned about how 100% of funds raised go towards supporting employment initatives for homeless folks. One thing that got me excited was the downtown Winnipeg walks its talk by hiring local folks, with many struggling with this issue of homelessness. I was encouraged by Jason’s passion for wanting to engage many creative/diverse aspects of our community together to make this a meaningful experience. Somewhere along the way, I was recruited to being a part of raising awareness about this event. Check out the CEO Sleepout official page here:
I have done some homework. Many people are critical of this sleepout. But I ask you this:
would you rather these 40+ individuals stay home and do nothing? What would you prefer for these CEOs to do instead? I have checked out many people that are not supportive of this initiative, and to those of you reading this who are not supportive, I welcome your recomendations and suggestions as to how we can make this a meaningful eye opening opportunity to get these influential business folks to join OUR movement.
If you are reading this post, it must mean you have some interest in the work that I do. I am honest and am becoming a part of this initiative because I know personally how beneficial the results were of last year’s Sleepout. I personally know Stuido393 (from GAP), Red Road & Siloam do necessary and important work in our community. I am going to work cooperatively with whoever shares this goal; get Winnipeg to stand up to homelessness!
I cannot raise money, as I am struggling financially enough on my own. But I can raise awareness and share my own time and thoughts on how we can make this event acheive its goals. I will be attending the sleepout. I will be sharing all of the suggestions that I receive with organizers of the event. Look at the details below:
When: September 27, 2012 (7pm – overnight)
Where: 201 Portage Avenue
The 2012 CEO Sleepout Goals:
– Engage business community and downtown residents to raise awareness about the possible solutions to ending homelessness, such as supportive housing and employment
– Raise awareness about Change for the Better, a program that supports homeless employment programs
– Host an event that brings together community leaders and members of the corporate community together to lend their voice to important issues, such as homelessness, poverty, and employment, social issues that affect many people in our downtown and in our city today
– Work with organizations like the Winnipeg Poverty Reduction Council (WPRC) to help influence policy-making
– Punctuate these important issues to media and the public
– Inspire and challenge our downtown partners to fundraise and donate to the Change for the Better program, a program that supports programs like Siloam Mission’s MOST: Mission Off the Streets Team
But Wait! There’s More!
I have asked my social media friends what they think of this, and while many think it is silly, many have given me some concrete suggestions about what they would like to see. I am also working with 2 of the CEOs personally on another awareness/experience where we can kick things up a notch.
Stay tuned for
Chapter 2: Suggested Activities at the CEO Sleepout
& Chapter 3: MC, Bowman & Young say “we can do more!”