Kids Help Phone announced this morning the results of their text messaging pilot project as well as the plans to roll out the service across Canada! See more from Kids Help Phone’s official announcement HERE. While some may be critical of offering kids help through more screen time, many more believe we must provide services to young people in the most accessible way possible. I know that I regularly have mental health conversations with young people via text and it is many young people’s preferred form of communication in 2018!! Results from the start of the pilot in February 2018-October 2018 the texting service had over 13,000 conversations with kids!! Results show that 86% of kids had reduced stress after their experience & 87% had an improved mood! The best number though, is that a full 81% of kids would recommend this service to a friend, now that’s impressive! I’d like to encourage the youth leaders, educators and helpers in my life to spread the word about this important & potentially life saving service with kids who may need it.
- Kids across Canada can text “TALK” to 686868 to be connected to a volunteer crisis responder in English. For French, kids can text “TEXTO” to 686868 (same number)
- This service is free of charge, meaning it won’t eat up the minutes from your data plan
- This service is available 24 hours a day
- Volunteers are still needed, especially those who speak French
- Trained supervisors monitor all text conversations to offer additional support when needed
- I’m on the KHP Indigenous Advisory Circle, so any feedback around First Nations, Metis or Inuit focused services can be shared with me so I can move ideas forward to improve the services
I wanna say thank you to everyone who has volunteered or worked hard to make this important service available! Looking forward to continuing this work, and want to encourage people to support this initiative in anyway you can, as a donor, a volunteer or simply by telling a young person about this exciting news!